Wednesday, March 02, 2005
Elliot's favourite pasta: Meatballs and fettucine
I don't think we have made this pasta for several months and Elliot began demanding its return about a week ago. I first tried this meal in Toronto many years ago and loved it so much it replaced spaghetti bolognaise as one of our staple meals. I tend to find with bolognaise that the meal itself is actually quite dry despite there being a sauce. With meatballs however, the meat itself is moist and combined with the luscious sauce means that I have no concerns for a dry pasta dish.
The night we prepared this meal, we used a different meat to the ones we usually use. We prefer to use veal and pork mince however we prepared this one with beef, it was a pleasant change.
Our meatballs are very simply prepared, finely chopped italian parsley, a couple of cloves of finely crushed garlic, the finely grated rind of one lemon, some grated Parmesan, two slices of bread (which have been dampened with water and squeezed) one egg, salt and pepper, all mixed together and left in the fridge for several hours. Later, roll the meatball mixture into balls and saute in a frying pan till browned all over. It is not necessary to cook throughout as the meatballs can be finished in the tomato sauce.
For the sauce, finely dice one and a half brown onions and saute with 2 finely crushed pieces of garlic and finely diced 3 cm piece of ginger add one tin of tomatoes and one tin of tomato puree. Add some dried basil, thyme and rosemary and some freshly cracked pepper and salt and 1 tablespoon of sugar and a splash of red wine. Simmer gently for 20 minutes and then add the meatballs.
Serve meatballs with fettucine or spaghetti and freshly grated Parmesan.
Posted by Amanda at 8:12 PM
- ► 2006 (37)
- Can't resist posting a photograph of my second tar...
- I finally prepared some garlic infused oil to dab...
- The dessert wine bottle of garlic infused oil.
- Saturday and Sunday dinner.
- Chargrilled feta and ricotta stuffed yellow pepper...
- Char grilled sour dough, parmesan and basil plus....
- Saturday Morning 9am. We birthed and very soon a...
- Dutch babies
- Cooked pizza. Every Wednesday is turning into ou...
- Standard Wednesday night dinner: Preparing home ma...
- Elliot's favourite pasta: Meatballs and fettucine...
- Paul's favourite pasta dish: prosciutto, parsnip ...
- The Final Menu
- ▼ March (13)