Saturday, July 02, 2005


Mmmm cinnamon rolls.

Recipe courtesy of Small Hands
4 1/2 - 5 C (unbleached/organic, if doable) flour
4 teaspons active dry yeast (2 packages)
3/4 C milk
1/2 C water
1/2 C vegetable shortening (I used copha and some soy margerine)
1/2 C sugar (I used caster sugar)
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, room temperature

Measure 1 3/4 C flour into yr large mixer bowl. Add yeast and blend. Measure milk, water, shortening, sugar, and salt into saucepan. Blend. Heat until warm (blood temperature)

Pour into flour/yeast mixture. Add eggs. Beat 30 seconds with electric mixer at low speed, scraping bowl constantly. Beat 3 more minutes at high speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Stop mixer.Gradually stir in more flour (by hand) to make a soft dough. It will be rather sticky. Knead on lightly floured board or counter until nice an' smooth, about 5-10 minutes (it's good exercise!!). Cover with bowl or pan and let rest for 20 minutes. Shape as desired.

Cut the hunk of dough in half, roll out one of the halves until it's flat and rectangular and large, brush it with butter, sprinkle it with a cinnamon/sugar mixture, add raisins (sometimes), and roll it up.
Then cut off the ends and cut the rest into 1 inch wide slices. They usually fit nicely into 2 9" greased cake pans. Then put them in a warm oven (usually warm it to 100 degrees C for a few minutes, then turn it off) with a pan of hot water under them and a foil tent over them and let them rise for 40 minutes, or until doubled.Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

Ice these with icing sugar after they've cooled off.

Cool them on a rack. When they're cool, you can wrap them in foil, and freeze. Just warm them in a 100 degree C oven for about 45 minutes to re-serve.

The recipe is from a cookbook called Homemade Bread, published by the Farm Journal people in 1969.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for "Australianising" this for me! I've been wanting to make these from Small Hands' blog for a long time but I couldn't figure out how much yeast to use (not terribly good with yeast baking).

Amanda said...

Hi Loretta, Glad to help - there are a couple of other things I should have probably added, I got some special flour from an Italian deli - it is usually used for making pasta and it worked very well. The other conversion I forgot was the 350 is F and I used about 180 degrees C instead.

Lori said...

Those are some of the most enticing cinn rolls I've ever seen! They're so big and pillowy! I just found your blog today and am glad I did. Keep up the great posts (and the desserts, too, of which I am most fond!)

Amanda said...

Your very welcome Lori it is lovely to know I can please readers with the same feeling I get when discovering a new food blog.

Anonymous said...

They taste heaps better with soft yeast but I just can´t seem to find it anywhere. You wouldn´t happen to know where I could get hold of it?
/Carrie

Amanda said...

Hi Carrie I am presuming your from Brisvegas. You might be able to find out/ get some from a place called All Things Breads who are on 4/405 Main Road, Wellington Point Qld 4160 give them a call on 32073148. I used a yeast called Fermipan which keeps really well in the fridge and I got from the ATB when they were at the Farmer's Markets at New Farm/the Powerhouse one weekend.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply! No, I live in Sydney. Just got here from Sweden were they sell soft type of yeasts in all the shops. There are probably baking shops where I could get it in Sydney, I´ll just have to look around :)
/Carrie

bibifoc said...

Sounds to be "Aussie recipe"! I am glad to try it because I love cinnammon and Australia so I think I am gonna be delighted with this new recipe!

About Me

My photo
Mother of two with one of each. Wife of one.Dogless. Busy working five days a week, baking and cooking when time allows. Writing rarely these days. Wishing I had time to read more often.